Do you find yourself counting down to a major event or something you are looking forward too? It might be:
- the countdown on New Years Eve, those last moments and final 10 seconds before you welcome the New Year in,
- a birthday to arrive – (mine is less than 200 days),
- the number of days to Christmas (less than 80 days),
- a wedding, (my friends Maz and Tim have less than 170 days to go to their big day).
- the arrival of a much loved baby,
- waiting until a special visitor comes by,
- a major national event like a moon landing,
- the start of a holiday, (our family have less than 7 days till we are off to Orlando,
- a career pivot occasion (only 12 days until our latest book Colors of Unfrozen – USA edition is released and we are on the stage presenting it in Columbus Ohio),
- change of a job or life changing event,
- or something else?
Whatever the countdown period is, there is always those last 5 seconds until the final moment arrives:
All your countdown events have great excitement attached to them, plus a little panic of ‘will I get everything done in time?’ Perhaps, there is a feeling of; so much to do in so little time, as our self-imposed deadline approaches.
There are other countdowns which feature the end of something, retirement, the end of a project or job which may have bittersweet emotions. You know something important is concluding and you do not really knowing what the future will hold and how life changing the situation will be.
The danger with countdowns are that you may miss out on your ‘today’; your ‘now’ moments, as time is spent dreaming of tomorrow.
- Do you wish the days away; to hurry the event along, make it arive quicker and despise the current preparation activities?
- How do you get joy and satisfaction from preparations and the leading up to your ‘blast-off’ moment?
The real countdown in all our lives is, of course, the second coming, the day when Jesus returns to Earth. And yet, we have not been given an actual date. Seeing how you and I deal with the other countdowns in our lives it is probably just as well. What a wise God we serve. Jesus said, “You will not know the exact time, only the Father knows”.
So, what do we do? How can you prepare for His coming? Is it just something in the back of your mind which you consider now and then? Is it just a fantasy and even reading Tim LaHaye and Jerry B Jenkins’s books, the Left Behind series makes it hard to think of as a reality?
Actually your preparation for it is—Your Life.
- How you use each and every moment of your life?
- Is the time you spend in praise and prayer, devoted to the relationship you are building with God, the interactions you have with Holy Spirit and the stories you tell others about Jesus in your life?
- Are they real to you today?
- Can you hardly wait to get into the Trinity’s presence and then enjoy eternity with them?
- Are you ready for the day when He will return? Are you watching for the day to happen?
What are you doing to Prepare? Need some support? Book a Personal Development Call.
Let me know your thoughts – how are you preparing yourself for the day which is yet to come, you can’t do a countdown until Jesus returns but it will be BLAST OFF when it happens. I can’t wait !!
No-one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven,
nor the Son but only the Father.
Matthew 24:36 (NIV)
Ladey writes from a faith forward perspective on business and topical issues, helping Believers in today’s workplace and at home. She has openings in her speaking and coaching diary.
You may enjoy these blogs too:
- Just Pedal!
- When Good Enough is OK – Is it time to get out of your own way?
- When Silver is Not Enough—Learning from the Paralympics
- Take a Moment—Breathe—You are Doing OK
- How to Succeed in Business and Life — by living in the moment
- Envy Kills Business – How to stop the Green-eyed Monster from ruining your life
- How to Keep your Dignity over Disappointment and Defeat—Life’s learning from the Olympics
Free: Your Top Ten Thoughts to prepare for the Return of Jesus
Let me know what you are doing to prepare? contact Ladey